Old Kyoto Central Telephone Office
This brick building on Karasuma Street used to be Kyoto's Central Telephone Office. First constructed in 1931, it was designed by Tetsuro Yoshida of the then Ministry of Communications, the three-story brick building stands in a square around a courtyard. Having completed its duty as a telephone exchange station, the building was remodeled as a shopping complex in 2000. Now called Shin-puh-kan, it contains over 40 shops and restaurants as well as a performing stage inside the courtyard.