Takasegawa Canal in Spring
Takasegawa is a canal built in the early Edo era (1603-1868) by a Kyoto merchant named Suminokura Ryoi. The water of the canal is taken from the Kamo River around Nijo Street, and it runs some 10 kilometers almost parallel to the Kamo River to Fushimi. Although no longer used as a means for transportation, the shallow waterway used to function as a river highway to and from Osaka. Kiyamachi Street by the canal has been a dining and entertainment district since that time.