Higashi Honganji Amida Hall
Higashi Honganji is the head temple of the Otani sub-sect of the Jodo Shinshu (Shin Buddhism) sect. Jodo Shinshu, which was founded by the Priest Shinran in the mid-thirteenth century, was split into two sects by Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu in 1602 in order to diminish its power, It was at that time that Higashi Honganji (Eastern Temple of the Original Vow) was established.
Inside the temple complex, there are two magnificent wooden halls: Goeido (Founder's Hall) and Amidado (Amida Buddha Hall). Amida Hall, which enshrines the Amida Buddha, is smaller than the Founder's Hall, which is one of the largest wooden buildings in the world and enshrines an image of Shinran. This reflects the fact that the Jodo Shinshu temples originated in Shinran's funerary chapel.